Wednesday 28 August 2013

So That's Why I'm Not Happy...

I was just reading one of those inane articles in which some psychologist makes a (rather silly) name for himself by coming up with ‘The Formula for a Happy Life.’ (Well, it was on Yahoo, so what did I expect?)

As you can imagine, the factors he lists are mainly either dumb, unrealistic, or pretty obvious to anybody with a brain cell. (By an odd coincidence, I’ve generally found that people with no brain cells are the happiest of all. He didn’t mention that.) The one I particularly picked up on, though, was this:

An essential part of a happy life is to do something twice a day that truly gives you pleasure or excites you.

‘Twice a day,’ note, not once. Doing it once a day isn’t enough if you want to glow. No.

But let’s say there are only two things that truly give you pleasure or excite you, and you’re too poor for one and too old for the other. What then?

Fortunately, it isn’t quite true of me since I get pleasure from talking to cows, but it nearly is.

No comments: