Friday 30 August 2013

Poor Beggars.

A man came up to me in Derby the other day and asked whether I could give him 50p, ‘to make a phone call.’

Make a phone call… Why do they still use that one? I feel compassionate towards beggars, I really do, but I wish they’d just say ‘I’m poor as shite, mate. Any chance of a quid?’

A quid is what I gave him (that’s £1, in case you didn’t know. It seemed appropriate, since it’s what I’d just spent on a pastie for my own lunch.)

He took the coin and said ‘Couldn’t make it two, could you?’

'No.'

There was another news item today which said that research has shown that poverty reduces the IQ. Seems it also thickens the skin, and I’m not being facetious. The point is that there’s no reason to fear losing face when you’re down at rock bottom and have no face to lose.

No comments: