Saturday 31 August 2013

From Both Sides Now.

I was thinking while watching the sun go down this evening that sunsets are undoubtedly beautiful, and yet – like autumn – they have a melancholy edge to them. A sunset does more than merely mark the closure of the day. Every time you watch the sun go down, you’re seeing another grain of sand fall through the hourglass that is your life span.

*  *  *

And while I’m on the subject of half full or half empty, I was telling somebody the other day that I sometimes have to stop mowing the lawn, turn the mower upside down, and clear the damp grass that’s built up around the blade housing.

‘I assume you take the plug out first,’ she said.

What do you say to that?

‘Yes I do. Thank you for your concern.’

Or:

‘Of course I do. Do you think I’m an idiot or something?’

I said both. ’Twas ever my way.

No comments: