Wednesday 14 August 2013

A Sort of Peter Pan.

My life to date has been essentially episodic, constantly moving on from people, places and activities every few years. With just a few rare exceptions, I haven’t really connected in any deep sense with anything or anybody. It’s been a case of hopping from one rock to another to follow the stream, and you don’t pick the rocks up and carry them with you as you go. In short, it’s been a loner’s life, surrounded mostly – but always at a small distance – by various levels of acquaintances. And the problem with being a loner is this:

The loner doesn’t have the usual markers to teach him how to grow old. There is no life partner to grow old with. There is no career ladder to climb until you reach the point at which you retire and get off, thereby gaining closure. There is no intimate family environment in which your position develops securely and naturally until you become the patriarch.

I reached the age of thirty two when I was about seventeen, and I’ve been thirty two ever since. The mirror tells me differently; my muscles, tendons, ligaments and organs tell me differently; the weight of experience sitting on my shoulders, and gained mostly through observation rather than commitment, tells me differently. But they confuse me because I’m still thirty two. It’s the one rock I’ve carried with me along the stream, and I don’t know how to throw it away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my grandmother was ninety she told me she never aged mentally past thirty-eight years and always got a shock when she looked in the mirror or when people treated her like an old lady. My mother, on the other hand, remained thirty-nine, and I'm still in my thirties somewhere. And my husband said last week that he still feels that he's eighteen! He certainly acts like a teenager sometimes.
n.

JJ said...

... and a day will probably come when you and bloke (I love that Aussie expression) will pass a certain point, and your daughter will start addressing you in a patronising manner. Or maybe not.

So, it seems that even people possessed of the markers have difficulty knowing how to grow old. I suppose that's a relief of sorts.