Wednesday 30 March 2011

What's Going On?

While I was out shopping today I was scanning the headlines on the newspaper racks. The Daily Express, supposedly one of the slightly less sensationalist of the British tabloids (which isn’t saying much, I admit,) had as its lead story the revelation that Britain is known to be getting nuclear fallout from the damaged Japanese reactor.

Given the distance involved, this struck me as fairly unlikely, but I’m no expert in these matters and it seemed a pretty extreme ‘lie’ even for a tabloid. None of the other newspapers, however, made mention of it – at least not on the front page. I checked the TV text news when I got home and there was no mention of it there either, neither is it listed among the Yahoo headlines. I haven’t had a chance to see a TV news bulletin yet.

So what’s this about? Is it just another example of a tabloid newspaper trying to sell copy by peddling sensationalist crap, or is there something going on that the authorities don’t want us to know about?

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

It wouldn't surprise me if the UK has received nuclear fallout. Many places in the US have reported higher than normal radiation levels. (My sister has a friend who is part of the volunteer network of people her in the US that are tracking such things. Here's a link http://www.radiationnetwork.com/)
In fact an area outside of Denver (where my two boys live) reported a radiation level of over 100 this morning.

JJ said...

Maybe, Jeanne, but you are several thousand miles closer to Japan. Who knows? I won't worry about it until I see the men in white suits carrying iodine tablets.

Anthropomorphica said...

Newspaper sales no doubt! I'm a dirty cynic too, as you well know ;)

JJ said...

Still a bit wild though, eh? Even for a tabloid.