Thursday 31 March 2011

The Transatlantic Trend.

I watched a pretty decent film tonight called Infamous, about Truman Capote’s research for his book In Cold Blood and his relationship with one of the murderers. What I don’t understand is why an American studio making a film about an American literary icon should have used so many British actors doing American accents. These included both Truman Capote and the murderer. And I have to say that, for me, the best and most elegantly restrained performance came from Sandra Bullock. I do believe she’s much underrated.

On a related note, there’s a measure of dismay over here that some glamorous young Hollywood star (forget her name; never heard of her) has been engaged by an American film company to play the next Miss Marple. I must admit, that is a bit rum – as if Helen Hayes wasn’t bad enough. It’s a bit like asking Hugh Grant to play Huckleberry Finn.

6 comments:

Zz... said...

loved the movie capote but saw the size of the book and never dared pick it up yet! agree i've been a fan of her since SPEED except she did particpate in quite a few duds she probably shouldn't have associated her with...it probably didn't do her career status any good...

JJ said...

I've heard that said of her before, Zhen. She always reminds me of somebody I've known, but I can never think who.

Della said...

Hmmm, was that the film where Sandra Bullock plays Harper Lee? If it's what I think I saw, she was good. Didn't even realize the other actors were British :) Mind you, I think Hugh Laurie is very convincing as Dr House though he's even better – or just much sweeter – as Bertie Wooster. A lot of Americans are Anglophiles Jeff.. but maybe it's just me.

JJ said...

I was particularly impressed by her monologues delivered to camera, Della, especially at the end. They were beautifully understated, yet full of expression. To me, that's top notch acting. Anybody can yell and scream. Didn't you notice, then, that Perry Smith, the muderer, was played by Daniel Craig? He always reminds me of my late brother. And somebody once told me I have House's eyes. I wish!

Della said...

I'm really slow on the James Bond front (haven't liked the films since the Sean Connery days) and so no, I didn't notice. I'm sorry to hear you have a late brother – independent of the fact that I don't know what everyone sees in Daniel Craig. As for "House's" eyes, they are amazingly blue and brimming over with character. I would take the compliment!

JJ said...

The first time I saw Daniel Craig was in a little known British film, the title of which I don't remember. He was very good as an academic who witnesses a fatal hot air balloon accident, and then is stalked by one of the other witnesses. It was quite different from the tough guy roles normally associated with him. Must admit, I don't watch the later James Bonds either.