Monday 28 March 2011

Resisting the Objective View.

I was sitting alone in the mediaeval churchyard today, soaking up the warm spring sunshine and sinking into the peace that imbues such places. I looked around at the familiar scenery - the mediaeval masonry worn and weathered by the centuries, the massive, ancient yew tree that might well pre-date the present 14thC church, the many-shaped headstones in greys and browns, some of them standing at alarming angles but standing yet, and the fresh young daffodils springing in riotous profusion, oblivious to their wanton precocity in such a time-honoured place.

My eye was caught by a show of primroses growing in a group by one corner of the church wall, close to where I was sitting. I was suddenly and randomly struck by the fact that what I was looking at was a coalescence of primary, vibrating, sub-atomic particles being bombarded by other particles forming the suns’ rays, some of which they were absorbing and some reflecting, for such is the simple explanation for what we call colour. The primrose with pink and yellow flowers and green leaves was, in essence, composed of the same material as the stones, the trees and my own body. It’s just that my brain is wired and conditioned to see it as something different.

Pity, really. I rather like the subjective version.

6 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I envy the fact that you can visit places that are medieval. In this case the subjective version does seem much better. Sounds like a beautiful place.

JJ said...

More poetic, certainly.

I'm told that the present 14thC church is the 'new' one, built on the foundations of an older one. And George Eliot's paternal ancestors are buried there. Her father sang in the choir until he moved to Warwickshire.

The last village I lived in had a church with a mostly Norman interior, but one of the exterior walls was Saxon, which made it at least 1000 years old.

KMcCafferty said...

I am envious, of course. This was very pleasant to read, and I'm glad that you have some nice weather to enjoy.

JJ said...

We Europeans love dangling our pre-17thC treasures in front of Americans, Kaetlyn. "Look what WE'VE got!'

And I gather the airflow is coming up from the Azores today. Very pleasant. I've no doubt Ireland is getting it, too.

Anthropomorphica said...

Lovely Jeff and thank goodness for the airflow!

JJ said...

Not sure where the post came from, Mel. I'm still in the most dreadful mood. Hence why I haven't insulted you by putting some crap comment on your latest post.