Sunday 13 March 2011

Responses.

I was watching news footage of the Japanese earthquake yesterday and felt the sudden urge to weep. I didn’t, but it’s the first time in my life that such an event has triggered such a reaction.

I wish I could find something to feel passionate about. The leaping fire of passion is much more familiar to me then the flowing water of emotion, and I miss it. Maybe we reach an age at which passion becomes inappropriate, if not wholly redundant. That’s a sad thought.

Strangely, though, I’ve always been drawn to people who are resigned to being quietly and chronically sad. I think it might have something to do with the stories my mother used to tell me as a kid.

I’m not sure why I’m posting this. I think I might be talking to somebody. It would be so much easier to be normal.

3 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I think it's important to find that passion Jeff and I don't think it becomes redundant ever. Aha, that's why your drawn to my Stolen Ones ;)

The aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami has been devastating to watch. After almost 9 years spent living in Japan the connection I feel to the people and places is much stronger than I thought, it really pains me to see them suffering.

JJ said...

Don't know where to look these days, Mel. I think what most draws me to the Stolen Ones is that they have the air of survivors about them, each in their own way. Sorry about your Japanese connection.

Anthropomorphica said...

Thanks Jeff.
You know, it is in there still, maybe the spark plugs need changing.
Ah, yes they do and they are, as you are too!