Sunday 20 March 2011

Rooting for the Wrong Side.

I went to a Christian service today, in a Christian church. It was my late neighbour’s memorial service and I went out of respect to him and his family.

It might come as no surprise that I didn’t bow my head in prayer, I didn’t sing along with the hymns, and I didn’t enjoy it. To make matters worse, the vicar set my nerves on edge with his irritating God-certainties and his curiously contrived way of speaking. It struck me that vicars probably come second only to weather presenters in the curiously-contrived-way-of-speaking stakes. I’ve often wondered why they do it. And I suppose all this indicates one of the reasons why I enjoyed Mists so much; I found myself identifying with the heroes for once.

And on the subject of identifying with the hero, or not as the case may be, I wonder whether anybody out there is familiar with the MR James story Casting the Runes, or the film Night of the Demon that was based on it. If so, did you find yourself rooting for arch-villain Dr Karswell, as I did?

A little postscript on the above:

The day wasn't entirely a failure, since I did make friends with two beautiful dogs. One Springer Spaniel even licked my ear, which was the nicest thing that's happened to me in a long time. I'm tempted to recall that there was a time when Springer Spaniels weren't the only biological life form that occasionally paid oral attention to my ear, but wallowing in the past is a most pointless exercise.

3 comments:

Carmen said...

i feel like all my frientds are athiests haha. the spaniel licked your ear? not even my dog does that. what a lovely dog.

Carmen said...

hang on, my bad, you are not athiest. apologies apologies.

JJ said...

Depends on how you define atheist. I'd say I'm non-worshipping, generally anti-religion, but with a strong leaning towards Buddhism and a hint of the pagan. I believe in gods and goddeses, but see them in a different context than most people.

It's a funny thing, you know... I love animals, but the only ones that seem to respond to me are dogs, cows and my friendly robin who comes for his breakfast every morning. Dogs are the thing, though. I rarely have to approach them; they come to me, tails-a-wagging. Even Mad Max who used to visit next door eventually accepted me and made friends.