Wednesday 30 March 2011

Neighbours Come A-Calling.

I had a rare and welcome visitor today. The farmer was checking the fences in the field neighbouring my garden, when his dog came crashing through a small gap in the hedge. Once she’d afforded me the courtesy of a tail wag, reclined ears and the offering of her head for a pat, she spent a happy ten minutes exploring the unfamiliar scents of my little piece of ground.

A few years ago I had visitors on a grander scale. A herd of cows had escaped from a field a mile or so away, and had taken themselves off for a perambulation around the lanes before ending up in my garden. They trampled all over my five vegetable plots, and yet they didn’t tread on a single plant. Long odds or considerate cows?

2 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

How fantastic to have a herd of cows in your garden, I'm jealous! There's just a sneaky little pup that makes his way in here.

JJ said...

They came around the back once and stood watching me through the window. I seem to get on well with cows, although I'm not keen on their habit of licking my arm and covering it with gooey slime!