Saturday 19 March 2011

Four Little Notes.

I had a letter from the landlord’s agent today. It appears that, on the face of it at least, the first point of conflict is now resolved – by him capitulating rather too easily. This makes me suspicious.

---------------------------

I finally finished Mists of Avalon. I feel inclined to write a decent spiel about it, but I think I’ve probably said enough already. I have a space by my armchair where the current novel resides for the duration of its reading, then when it’s finished it goes onto the pile of read books and gathers dust. I didn’t want to do that with Mists. I’d grown to love it so much that it seemed only proper to let it remain in place for a while, there to be venerated like a dignitary lying in state. Or maybe I just didn’t want to let it go.

---------------------------

I find it amusing when somebody writes some short stories, gets a few of them published by the small press, and then sets up an ‘author’s website’ to crow about their elevated status. I won’t name names.

---------------------------

It surprises me a little that the Irish made St Patrick their patron saint, and now make such a fuss about his Day. It seems to me that he was the first of the Brits to go stomping around Eire giving orders to the natives. Not as brutally as some of the others, maybe, but still...

2 comments:

Della said...

Okay Jeff, sold. Mists of Avalon is now on my list to read list.

Also sick at heart about the news. Shockingly sad what you wrote about the child in Japan. So sorry.

Everyone's an author it seems, makes me want to be a farmer.

I've never understood the St Patrick thing, either, but Catholicism has exerted its tenacious grip on a lot of innocents as we know. I wonder what Sinead O'Connor would say.

Never trust a landlord's agent. But I'll keep my fingers crossed that keep your place there.

JJ said...

I found it interesting, Della, that St Patrick ('Bishop Patricius' in the book) was one of the minor villains in Mists. My remark about him being 'the first of the Brits...' was a little tongue-in-cheek. Mostly, I dislike Christian evangelists.