Monday 29 June 2015

The YouTube Artillery.

I recently left a comment on YouTube about Glen Campbell’s Witchita Lineman. Don’t ask me why I watched it or why I bothered to leave a comment. It’s a long story. Suffice it to say that I suggested the track was ‘insipid,’ and went on to remark that I thought the range and quality of much of what’s around today outdoes the 60s stuff.

Well, as you can imagine, I got hailed on with bananas again (love that phrase) by outraged Glen Campbell fans. Today I got these three comments, repeated as written. The first said:

You''re full of shit. Today's "music" can't hold a light to Glen's music and other singers of his era. As for me,I'd much rather see Kanye West,not Glen Campbell in that institution with Alzheimers with that no talent wife and her stepfather(mother?) ,crying over his worthless she'll of a life

It’s pretty clear from both the tone and content that this man is of fairly low intelligence. That isn’t his fault and he’s not to be denigrated for it, since we’re all born the way we’re born and we can do no more than play the hand we’re dealt. Accordingly, I choose to see this as his way of saying ‘I’m old fashioned, I like old fashioned music, I can’t stand rap artists and so I think you’re wrong.’ I don’t mind that at all.

The second said:

The music, the simplicity is the magic. If you can't feel that, I truly feel sorry for you.

This woman has a sharp reply coming because this is patronising. That I mind.

The third said:

It would be good for Scrabble.

My kind of logic. Sense at last.

No comments: