Friday 12 June 2015

Garden Firsts.

Eight years ago I planted three fruit trees in my garden. The apple tree has been fruiting for several years, but neither the plum nor pear has ever produced. Since pears are not self-pollinating I assumed there were no others in the near vicinity, and since plum trees are self-pollinating I assumed there was something deficient about mine.

And then a couple of weeks ago I counted seven fledgling pears on the pear tree. Today I spotted lots of little green peas hanging from the branches of the plum tree, and I think it’s a fair bet they’re not peas at all. That’s pleasing.

And to continue the firsts, this evening at twilight I saw a large dark shape by the side of the shed. Closer inspection revealed that it was the biggest hedgehog I’ve ever seen. He regarded me briefly and then ambled slowly away, apparently unconcerned by the presence of a human. Or maybe he recognised that I’m not actually human at all.

And did you know that in Denmark and Poland it’s illegal to capture or harm a hedgehog? Hello Danes and Poles. Seems like you must be very nice people.

No comments: