Thursday 18 June 2015

One for the Poles.

I asked a Polish woman today whether it’s true that it’s against the law in Poland to capture or harm a hedgehog. She laughed and said she didn’t know, but that isn’t the point. The point is that I get a bit a bit cross with those brainless Brits who vent their xenophobic spleens on all migrants, but especially the Poles, because they’re ‘taking our jobs.’ Are they? Or would it be more accurate to say that they’re competing for our jobs, which isn’t quite the same thing? And aren’t we always being told in the drive to become an ever more free market economy that competition is the best of states?

(At this juncture the post could go into the whole subject of Britain’s membership of the EU – a subject under much heated debate at the moment – but I’ll stick to the point and the Poles.)

I’ve known a lot of Poles and people of Polish extraction during my life, and I can honestly say that every one of them was courteous, polite and friendly. I would far rather have one of them as a neighbour than any of the xenophobic trolls who hurl abuse and even physical violence against members of the Polish community, screaming that they should all be put on a train and sent back to Warsaw, Krakow or Gdansk before ripping up the train tracks so they can’t come back.

To conclude the short and simple post:

You have my personal welcome, Polish people. It is my considered opinion that you enhance British society, and I’m glad you do.

No comments: