Sunday 14 June 2015

Creature Contact.

I was standing by the greenhouse this evening admiring the uniformly grey sky, the landscape washed out into misty half tones, and the unremitting drizzle which had hardly stopped for more than twenty four hours. Suddenly I felt a pair of eyes burning into the back of my head (as they do in all the best books.) I turned to see a little vole sitting on the sill of the greenhouse window where I put a regular supply of rolled oats for the robins and blackbirds.

He watched me for a few seconds and then ate another oat flake. I continued to watch him back as he munched and twitched his nose. Eventually he decided that discretion was the better part of valour and disappeared behind the wall boards, and then he poked his head out again and watched me some more. I said ‘hello’ and he ran away.

Life doesn’t come much more exciting than that.

No comments: