Tuesday 9 June 2015

The Current View of the Ultimate.

‘What is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen in your life?’

It’s an impossible question to answer. How can you compare one beautiful image with another and claim a winner? It’s a ridiculous notion, and yet I think I’ve found it: the final image of the Chinese woman at the head of the Thousand Hand Dance, the one that comes at the end of this video.

  
The stillness of face, the purity of bodily form, the coordinated movements of hand and arm, the gentle smile, and the final closing of the eyes. For me, it defines sublime. I left a comment on YouTube which said:

If Helen’s was the face that launched a thousand ships, this is the one with which you would trust your destiny.

It’s a personal choice, of course; I claim nothing definitive. It might change with time, but for now this is it.

No comments: