Tuesday 23 June 2015

Goodbyes and Bits.

I’ve always found goodbyes a bit difficult, but once my mind has been made up I’ve stuck to it. No going back. Better still, no wanting to go back. I’m just not a going back sort of a person.

This is different. I have no reasonable cause to doubt that a ‘goodbye’ is called for, and quite right too. The decision is easy, but I know it’s going to be difficult to maintain. And that isn’t good because you can go through a whole life saying:

‘Goodbye.’

‘Hello, I’m back.’

‘Goodbye again.’

‘Hello. Can I come back, please?’

That’s no good to anybody, is it? I suppose I’ll just have to give it a go and begin the long walk to discovery.

(And just to avoid any misapprehensions, this has nothing to do with the blog.)

*  *  *

I met a nice dog today who wanted to be my friend. The world always looks at least a little nicer when a dog wants to be your friend.

*  *  *

Am I being pedantic in complaining about Kate Bush’s lyrics to Nocturn? ‘Atlantic’ doesn’t quite rhyme with ‘panoramic.’ I’m a bit of believer in the idea that a non-rhyme is preferable to a bad rhyme, and I don’t think I’ve ever complained about a Kate Bush lyric before.

*  *  *

I’ve given up on ever being awarded an honorary degree. I never stuck to anything long enough to earn one. Full circle, so here goes with the goodbye…

No comments: