Wednesday 2 June 2010

Two Bird Stories (and a Connection.)

Yesterday’s great delight was the appearance of the first fledglings of the summer. Two little female sparrows, still with that characteristic softness about their new feathers, accompanied their mother to the bird table. There followed frenetic flappings of baby wings to command the mother’s attention, and she dutifully gave each one a beakfull of food. Then she flew away and the kids picked up some food for themselves before following her. Learning the ropes, of course.

On a similar theme, but of maybe deeper significance, I had an unusual experience this morning.

I’ve been watching the parent blue tits bringing food for the chicks in the nest box outside my kitchen window for a couple of weeks now. I glanced at it when I first got up, and it looked different somehow. It looked empty. I couldn’t understand how that could be, since it looks the same from the outside as it has done ever since I put a roof on it four years ago. I pondered the question for a while, and realised that it had nothing to do with the appearance of the box, but rather a feeling inside me. I sensed that it had been abandoned. I kept an eye on it all day, and there have been no birds anywhere near it. The chicks obviously fledged before I got up this morning, which is what they usually do. So where did this ‘sense’ come from? I’ve never felt it before, and yet it was sudden and quite powerful. It hit me the second I looked at the box. It made me feel slightly sad that something precious had gone. Am I becoming attuned, I wonder?

5 comments:

Shayna said...

Beautifully attuned, dear Jeff.

Anthropomorphica said...

I agree with Shayna! Your bird dream was confirmation of that I would say.

JJ said...

Mmm, I wonder. Oh well, if it happens it happens.

Lovely to see you here, ladies. Who needs a truck, eh?

andrea kiss said...

I think that you are. Especially after reading about your dream about the bird/elephant and the rat. I wonder what the elephant means? You did say you had a peanut feeder that i'm assuming you put peanuts in. :O)

JJ said...

I assume the elephant siginified that the robin was vulnerable to attack if he was on the ground and too close to the undergrowth. I've observed that birds will feed quite close to rats, but no closer than about four or five inches. It's a world of discovery in my garden, I tell you.

Elephants - peanuts. Yup, hadn't thought of that one.