Thursday 3 June 2010

The Robin, the Rat, and the Dream.

I had a strange and slightly disturbing dream last night. There was a bird flying around my living room, and I soon identified it as a robin. It was tame enough to let me catch it so that I could set it free outdoors. As I held it in my hand, I saw that it had changed from a robin to a tiny fat elephant. I was confused, wondering why something so fleet of flight would transform into something slow, lumbering and earthbound. I put it outside and it walked along the path, only to be grabbed and carried away by a rat that darted out of the undergrowth. There was nothing I could do to rescue it, and I woke up feeling sad at the fate of the little creature, but relieved that it had been only a dream.

My first job when I get up in the morning is to feed the birds. After filling the bird table at the top of the garden, I walked down to the bottom where I hang the peanut feeder. On the way I was approached by the friendly robin that’s been following me about for a year and a half now. He seemed to want his own private pile of oats, as he usually does, but I was surprised because he hadn’t approached me for some weeks. I assumed there was enough natural food about and he had no need of my offerings.

I put a pile down for him, but he became fretful and wouldn’t go near it. I remembered the dream, and realised that I had placed the food on a kerb by the side of the path. It was only an inch or two from dense, dark undergrowth. I put another pile down on more open ground in the middle of the path, and he fed happily there.

On my way back a couple of minutes later, I saw that the pile on the verge had gone. The only thing that could have eaten it in so short a time was a rat. I assumed the robin must have known of the rodent’s presence, whereas I needed the dream to fill in the picture.

Just a coincidence, I suppose.

And while I’m on, a big welcome to whoever visited from Italy. The UK beat the US to be the first to 100, by the way. The last time I looked, the score was UK 100: US 99. Well, that makes a change!

8 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I don't think it's a coincidence at all. I'm sure that after spending so much time with the birds and your special Robin that a connection has been forged.

JJ said...

It would be interesting to see how something like that would unfold, wouldn't it?

The Bird Man of Ashbourne.

St Jeffrey of the Derbyshire Dales.

Yo!

How are you. Mel? Too warm in Edinburgh?

Shayna said...

A most intriguing dream ... and - I am in full agreement with Melanie.

lucy said...

Wow, your dream sounds really interesting- and it's kind of perplexing how it related to your morning. Do you believe in dream interpretations? Maybe see what the robin and the elephant and the rat represents.

By the way, I like the picture at the bottom of your blog page. It's really pretty :)

JJ said...

Thanks, Shay. I think I am, too. Will be interesting to see where it leads, if anywhere.

Whoa, Lu. Dream interpretation. Big subject, and complex. I'm sure you could argue that every dream means something, but I think there are different kinds of dreams that can come from different sources and mean different things. In this case, it seemed that somehow I was tapping into a situation that was about to happen. But 'about to' is what's interesting, because there is a view in both mystical and some scientific thought that time is an illusion that only makes sense within a three dimensional reality. Dreams don't belong to that reality, so maybe there is no such thinig as 'about to' in dreams.

The picture at the bottom was taken in the Scottish Highlands. The landing stage probably served a community that disappeared with the Highland Clearances. Another story of human greed riding roughshod over humanity.

Hope you're maintaining your 100 series. I'm going to take a look in a minute.

Maria Sondule said...

Haha this is great! Even if it is a coincidence, its lucky that you found out.
Maybe you knew all along, in the back of your mind. Often people make connections in dreams that they miss when they're awake, even though they have the same information.

Anthropomorphica said...

St Jeffery Bird,I'm rarely too warm, think I must be half baselisk ;)
How's life in Ashbourne?

JJ said...

Would you mind telling me what a baselisk is? It isn't in my OED. Life in Ashbourne is OK. Problem is, we have to put up with same government as everybody else - and Ashbourne even voted for them! I'm rarely too warm either, so maybe I'm half baselisk, too - except that it sounds suspiciously like a Victorian lady's undergarment. I think I could only be a whole one of those.