Friday 11 June 2010

200 Posts and Ishmael.

This is my two hundredth post. Doesn’t time fly? I gave careful consideration as to what it should be about, and I finally decided to quote a short passage from the novel “Ishmael” by Daniel Quinn, which I’m currently reading. Respect to Zoe for putting me onto it.

The wise gorilla has just explained to his human pupil that civilised culture traps its population into a conditioned mindset based on manufactured myths, convenient interpretations, and lies. It does so subtly, engaging the mind in a myriad of ways and through every medium that can be used to achieve the desired beliefs. The process is so subtle that people are unaware of it happening, since it operates like a constant hum in the background that ceases to be noticed after a while.

“All this is just a preface to our work,” continues the master. “I wanted you to hear it because I wanted you to have at least a vague idea of what you’re getting into here. Once you learn to discern the voice of Mother Culture humming in the background, telling her story over and over again to the people of your culture, you’ll never stop being conscious of it. Wherever you go for the rest of your life, you’ll be tempted to say to the people around you ‘How can you listen to this stuff and not recognize it for what it is?’ And if you do this, people will look at you oddly and wonder what the devil you’re talking about. In other words, if you take this educational journey with me, you’re going to find yourself alienated from the people around you – friends, family, past associates, and so on.”

I can vouch for that.

18 comments:

L. said...

Congratulations on reaching your 200 mark, I hope to also achieve this one day too. It really shows how dedicated and enthusiastic you are towards what you write. I find it all so inspiring :)

Very deep and intellectual post, so everything I say is probably pretty inferior. But I enjoy reading it. xx

JJ said...

Certainly not, Lauren! We all talk about what matters to us. It's a personal choice. Just carry on being you. You're lovely. Just don't forget you'll be a different person tomorrow, eh? I find your interrelation with your friends fascinating. That picture of you and the girl with big (almost startled?) eyes said a lot. I suspect you might have to face up to being leader of the pack one day. Then you'll have a tightrope to walk!

Zoe said...

Mother Culture... He's right. Once you realize, you're aware of her constantly.

JJ said...

I know, Zoe. And people look at me oddly...

lucy said...

That is amazing. I never thought about culture like that before. It's so amazing! Thanks for posting this, Jeff, and congratulations for reaching your 200th mark! :)

lucy said...

do you mind if i put this quote up on my blog? i'd like to remember that

Nuutj said...

Found the book in my office's shelf. Don't know when I can start rereading it. :)

JJ said...

Lucy: Glad you liked it. It isn't my quote, of course. If you post it you will have to do so at your own risk. There's copyright involved and the Men in Black might tag you as a subversive! You'd probably get away with it, though.

Mei-shan: I can't actually recommend the book because I haven't finished it yet, but it's very good so far. When I tried to get a copy from the library, I was told there didn't appear to be an 'official' copy in Britain. I wonder why. I had to buy a used copy from Amazon.

Anthropomorphica said...

Alienating from the collective consciousness, but in a sense that's freedom. The price is that you can never again abdicate responsibility for your life and ridicule will cross your path from time to time. A small price I say!!
Thanks for posting the quote Jeff, I'm going to hunt a copy down.

Alot of catching up to do on this blog ;)

JJ said...

Melanie, you don't have to 'catch up on this blog,' you know. I'm really flattered that you are doing, though. Your comments have made my night.

And I agree, a small price indeed.

Anthropomorphica said...

Don't worry, I don't feel compelled. I'm enjoying myself!!

JJ said...

Thanks, Mel. Feel free to clout me if you feel so inclined. Now, there's a good word.

Anthropomorphica said...

Ne'er cast a clout 'til May is out. Yipee! it's June, I may send Mathilda round ;)

JJ said...

Oh, no! Not Mathilda. Better make sure I'm not baht 'at. Can't even spell it.

Anthropomorphica said...

Ha Ha!! Can you believe I taught that song to my English students when I lived in Japan. Bad teacher ;)
Night Jeff.

JJ said...

Japan, is it? Now there's a coincidence. One of the people who told me my totem was the bear taught EFL in Japan. She was from the other side, though - Manchester. I don't think there are any songs about it being a bit black over Willy's 'en pens.

You sadist! Even half the English don't know what that song's about. Poor kids.

I'm having a drop of scotch and ready to talk. Hello...

Anthropomorphica said...

It's ok, they were adults and deserved it! ;)
I also armed them with " I'm off t' chippy" terribly useful if they visit Bronte land.

JJ said...

Have you ever read Joseph's dialogue in Emily's original version of Wuthering Heights? You have to be over 100 and from West Yorkshire to understand it.