Thursday 24 June 2010

The Robin and Another Dream.

I had another disturbing dream about my robin last night. I was about to go somewhere in a car, but as a passenger. The driver was somebody I used to know and who worked for the RSPB, Britain’s big bird charity.

As we were about to drive off, the robin approached the car and seemed to want to come with us. I opened the window and called to him. As he flew towards the car, the driver accelerated and the bird crashed into the side of the vehicle. I told the driver to stop and the robin flew in and nestled into my hand. I saw with horror that he had lost both his eyes; only the sockets remained. I was faced with an agonising decision: whether to take care of him and feed him, or whether to accept that he could never be happy blind and have him put down. I woke up feeling a little distressed.

I’m going to be very careful when I drive off to town this afternoon, but I suspect there’s a less literal message here. In both dreams the robin came into my hand, and in both dreams he suffered as a result of getting too close. I think I need to learn the lesson that it’s OK to let the bird make whatever connection he wants with me, but I must never regard him or any other wild creature as a pet. They never will be and they’re not supposed to be.

So where does this message come from? The robin? Probably not. My higher mind, perhaps. Maybe, but then I’ve long thought that the higher mind is somehow more in touch with what we might call the universal consciousness. So perhaps it isn’t quite so clear cut. And it doesn’t matter. The message makes sense, wherever it comes from.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

In a shamanic view of your dreams, it would be said that the Robin was one of your totem/animal spirit guides, especially since it has appeared to you in such important ways. Yes, it's definitely true there's the literal meaning of the dream but still why the Robin? I suggest, only a suggestion to free-associate with what a Robin means to you before you had these dreams and then study about Robins, the folk-lore, mythology, real-life living habits, etc...maybe then once you're listening to what the Robin wants/needs, he may not be hurt or damaged and then will be able to see and guide you. Love to hear your dreams, Jeff!

JJ said...

Hmm, food for thought. When he came over for his oats this morning, he shied away from me when I put them down. That's unusual, but there was another robin in the vicinity and they do tend to be a bit territorial.

This will take some musing. Instinct calls, I think. Thanks for your invaluable input, Wendy.