Sunday 6 June 2010

Direct Action or Personal Growth?

I’ve made some silly posts recently (even if nobody seemed to get the flaccid flag joke!!) I think it’s time to knuckle down again and say something sensible, or at least a bit deeper.

I began reading Ishmael yesterday. I’m enjoying it greatly so far; Daniel Quinn’s style is easy yet eloquent, and so the message flows more transparently than it does in a lot of books. I had a problem, though, with the protagonist’s opening gambit. He rounded on the hippy movement of the 1960’s, proclaiming cynically that seeking personal growth was inherently selfish, and the only right way to change the world for the better was by direct action. I thought the view unnecessarily polarised, incomplete, and possibly even naïve. The problem is that to address the question fully would require the writing of a major tome, not a blog post; but I would like to make a point as briefly as I can.

I’m not against direct action. I have as much respect for the strength and courage of people like Nelson Mandela and other reformers as we all do. If something is causing innocent beings to suffer, of course it’s right to try and do something about it. The problem is that I believe the material world to be not only inherently flawed, but essentially so. Post-revolutionary environments are often as bad, and sometimes even worse, than they were before the revolution. It’s good that slavery was abolished in Europe and America, but slavery still exists in other places and in other forms. It seems that whatever wrong we right, something else pops up to take its place.

And there’s something else we need to consider: direct action is a two edged sword. The very same principle that can be used to destroy tyranny also produces war and terrorism. Everybody who takes direct action thinks they’re in the right, or at least justified in some way.

Personal growth, on the other hand, is about taking responsibility for raising our own consciousness. There’s nothing selfish about that. Ultimately, we can only be responsible for ourselves and our own part in the scheme of things. And maybe there is some justification for the belief that the more each of us raises our own state of being, the more some beneficent energy thus produced will spread out and raise the consciousness of humanity. Maybe it’s all a matter of reaching the point of critical mass. I like to think so, even if my hope proves to be misplaced.

There’s a lot more to be said on this issue, but I think I should leave it there for now.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I read "Ishmael" quite a few years ago and after reading it, I remember thinking, I can never look at the world the same again. Am I a giver or a taker. Don't knock yourself for your "silly" posts, I think Ishmael would be the first to tell you that. Thank you for reminding me that I need to balance the heavier and the lighter.

JJ said...

Hello Wendy. Nice to see you. I ssem to get sillier as I get older. Maybe there's wisdom in silliness, eh? As Bob Dylan said, 'It's life, and life only.'

Anonymous said...

I vote for personal growth! Not that I'm against action, but I completely agree how easily one's defensive actions can become as violent and misguided as the opposition. I like reading Alexander McCall Smith's novels because he digs around the smaller, moral questions – which, if we tried to get right, might give us a fighting chance at the bigger things, too. On the other hand I recently joined a Facebook group called "1,000,000 People Who Want to Plug the BP Oil Spill with Sarah Palin," which is very uncharitable of me I must say, and doesn't bode well for my personal growth. As for you Jeff, I can almost tell you off for the flag joke but will let it go. This time. I approve of the Dylan quote though.

JJ said...

Greetings Della. So you've let me off the hook again. Tut. Must try harder.

I'm not sure the Sarah Palin thing is so uncharitable. They could always give her an endless supply of aqualungs, couldn't they? Seems to me she would be doing something useful for a change. I shouldn't really comment, though. US politics aren't my forte.

Always good to hear from you, D. Really. I've decided what I'm going to post on 26th.