Monday 28 June 2010

Miss Mumbai.

Miss Mumbai,

Good morning.

Your interest flatters me.

Your presence intrigues.

I imagine that you flick a finger and a bell rings.

I hear a sitar sing, and see the burning eye of a tiger watching me from the shadows.

And then I hear the rhythm of the tabla.

I’m being fanciful, I know. But India, like Ireland, has a magic that remains elusive. The British knew it before they became tyrants. It’s why so many of them stayed there. Do I mind that these muses be made public? Why should I? Honesty is my ultimate defence.

I hope you have a good day, Miss India.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the elephants and fakirs and such exotica. Dare I debunk such luring images? Can SUV's be as charming?

JJ said...

SUVs on the road, magic in the air? I'm also aware of the grinding poverty and corruption. I couldn't watch Slumdog Millionaire because it upset me too much. But a certain inherent nobility seems to shine through it all, nevertheless.