Tuesday 8 June 2010

Apocalypse of Sorts.

I’m starting to get a gut feeling that worldwide economic collapse isn’t as far off as I thought it was. Selfishly, I suppose, I still hope to be gone before it happens. But I feel for the generations of people who are still young. I recommend that they gather about themselves things that are sustainable, and which will sustain them when the comfort zone is breached. Forget the frills, the gadgets and the ‘lifestyle accessories.’ Reliance on those things is what, in my opinion, has brought us to this state. And they will be worthless when the bad times come.

The world has ever been full of false prophets of doom. I truly hope I’m one of them.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I agree with you that our future generations will suffer for our mistakes, financial and otherwise, but I also believe that this economic crisis had to happen in order to make way for a new type of relationship with money and what "possessions" really are. I don't believe I'm an overly-sunshine and rainbows kind of optimist, but I believe that along with the struggles, there will be new creativity, much like the Phoenix rising from the ashes. In the meantime, we need to go back to living simply, teach and give what we can the younger generation and revere the older.

Maria Sondule said...

Believe me, I'm not looking forward to it. However, I don't know if it will happen in my lifetime either. I'm young, but I think that we'll be able to make the lifelines thinner and thinner until they snap.

JJ said...

I think so too, Wendy, but I think there's going to be a hell of a lot of fighting over scraps before humanity comes to its senses. Given the choice, I'd rather be out of here. And I think that however many voices are raised in warning about this, we've passed the point of no return now.

Maria, for your sake I hope you're right. But I might also be wrong in thinking there's no avoiding it. Maybe your generation can still do it. If not, your posts suggest to me that you have the instinct for survival.

Anyway, enough gloom. The next post will be lighter.