Friday 18 June 2010

Taking the Wrong Road.

Over the last couple of decades the scope of technology has grown at a staggering rate. But I think it’s come at a price. Never have I heard as many complaints about things breaking down or not working correctly as I do now. And I’m no exception to that trend. It seems that all the development effort is being put into widening horizons, rather than into making those things we already have function better. So we have more gadgets, but they don’t work as well. This strikes me as yet another example of getting the balance wrong, and is another source of increasing stress in the modern world. The extension of technology doesn’t make people any happier. We don’t miss what hasn’t been invented yet, and we simply take for granted the things we have.

It goes without saying that this is largely the result of the modern world being driven by an aggressive, free market economy obsessed with economic growth. It doesn’t matter if things don’t work well because there’s a better version, or something new to replace it altogether, just about to come onto the market. The problem is that the ‘improved’ version probably won’t work any better than the old one did. In fact, it might well be worse. And we can take it as almost guaranteed that it won’t last as long. It isn’t supposed to. But it will have more buttons. There is no place for stability or durability in a world driven by naked profit.

And this, I think, is another reason why the bedrock of so-called civilised culture is slipping inexorably into quicksand.

I’m beginning to wonder whether the modern human is the stupidest creature that has ever lived on this earth. Or should we blame every generation that has come along since one strand of the human race felt they could do better than live in harmony with nature? Is that what Shakespeare meant when he said ‘and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death?’

Maybe I’m exaggerating. Maybe I'll post a funny story tomorrow.

2 comments:

lucy said...

Amazing! How do you come up with such posts, Jeff? I agree with you. Technological advancements in today's society is, 99% of the time, driven by profit, and profit alone. I was writing a history essay a few weeks ago, and I mentioned how even 'historical' movies are only produced to satsify mass consumerism- how most of the time, they're not even accurate anymore- their only intent is to reap millions of dollars at the box office.

JJ said...

Lucy! Hello.

You shouldn't get me started on 'historical' films. I saw the publicity poster for Troy a few years ago. Hilarious! Did the characters look like Trojans? Nope. They looked 21st century celebs about to attend a Hollywood party. But that's just on the surface. There's rarely anything historical about historical films, and yet people take them as being true. Did you see my post on Braveheart a couple of months ago?