Thursday 17 June 2010

Learning the Language of Birds.

One of the big revelations to me this spring and summer has been the birdsong. I used to think that this bird went cheep-cheep, whereas that bird went cheepity- cheep. No. There appears to be a hell of a lot more to it than that.

I was sitting at my garden table this evening at about nine o’clock when the most incredibly varied array of cacophonous birdsong suddenly filled the air. And both yesterday and today, I went out at dusk and stood enthralled by the ‘song’ of a female blackbird. I stood for several minutes tonight listening to her. The range of tonal qualities and complex patterns was breathtaking. It truly sounded like a vocal language. In other words, it didn’t sound like a ‘song’ at all, but as though she was talking to the other blackbirds in terms we would recognise as conscious and complex communication. I’ve also recently witnessed several birds making sounds that are almost inaudible. My friendly robin sometimes does it when he comes to me for a feed.

This has caused me to think that I have finally recognised that a language is being spoken, and that maybe one day I’ll learn to understand it. Wishful thinking maybe, but it’s a nice feeling.

4 comments:

Carmen said...

I wish I could appreciate the 'song' of the zillions of galahs that flock to my backyard like you do with your robin.

robins and galahs are quite different though...

JJ said...

What's a galah like? Of course, you have a whole unique set of species in Aus. Everything developed differently there. Bit like the glowing women and thundering men...

Nuutj said...

Are there frogs or toads around your place. There are around 5 species of birds living around my places. Also 4 species of amphibians make some lively, lovely noises too.

I really enjoy their conversations. :)

JJ said...

Hello Mei-shan. Nice to see you.

I found two small frogs hopping around my office the first summer I was here. No idea how they got in, since the door hadn't been open, but haven't seen any since. I doubt they would survive here - too many rats.