Sunday 27 June 2010

The Brits are Winning.

A little update on the flag statistics. The American team is visibly flagging. They’re now twenty points behind the Brits. Whether that is because the Americans are fading or because my blog is becoming insufferably tedious, I cannot tell.

‘But I am faint. My gashes cry for help.’ (Funny how three words can plunge you into Shakespeare...)

If the former: GO YANKS (note the careful avoidance of any potentially divisive reference to baseball.) If the latter, do feel free to say.

The big news from today is that I’ve had my first visit from Nigeria. That’s two countries from Africa now. Excellent. Cordial greetings and welcome, Nigeria.

And yes, I do realise that the point of blogging is neither to engage in a race nor indulge a collecting habit. I’m just idly musing. It’s what ‘asides’ are all about.

6 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

Well, this American is still here, keeping her part of the flag afloat!

JJ said...

Thanks, McC. Maybe the PIsces/Aries mix is what makes you a bit special. Hope you're keeping those stress levels down!

Anonymous said...

I'm an American living in Germany, does that count? And anyway, as far as I can tell the Brits have lost against the Germans. Oh, but that's soccer. I mean, football, or rather fußball.

JJ said...

Well, that's the strange thing Della. Every time an American acceses my blog (from America, that is) the US flag count goes up. But every time you come along, the German one doesn't. I think this is yet another example of a computer program behaving irrationally.

As for the football, yes we got well trounced. But we have the perfect excuse - Italian coach! He doesn't understand us, and he's the one getting all the blame. I doubt he will last the summer.

Anonymous said...

Or, the flaggy thing knows I'm an American living in Germany and cannot convey such precise information, so fails to report at all. Holding a different passport then, must trick the system :) Seriously though, it's bizarre.

The poor Italian coach (now, don't pick on my heritage, either). I wish England did win because I was driving across town just as the game ended yesterday and was caught in a traffic nightmare, surrounded by horns, screams and fire crackers and I was rerouted away from my destination by police, so that it took 2 hours to get home. (Us poor artsy, Italian-Americans living in Europe)

JJ said...

Sorry, Della. It isn't that he's Italian specifically, rather that he's a foreign coach trying to make players play his way, rather than the way they're used to. He's also reputed to be something of a bully. These things were being said even before the World Cup.

Sorry the locals got through. Your lot sound even worse than ours. It must have been awful. I'm hoping things will quieten down here now that there's only the post mortem to be carried out.

Artsy Italian-American, eh? And I had you down as the high octane executive type.

Only kidding.