Monday 20 July 2015

Straight Talking.

I might have said this before, but I get so irritated when I hear journalists and meteorologists presenting the news and weather. Why do they have to resort to all those abnormal pauses and artificial inflections when talking to camera? What are they trying to do? Make a valiant but misguided attempt to win an Oscar?

You know, a few years ago Britain's Channel 5 made a minor headline when they announced that they were going to dispense with meteorologists to give the weather forecast, but instead were going to employ an attractive young woman who had no technical knowledge but could read from an autocue faultlessly. And that was what they did.

And do you know what? She said just the same things as the meteorologists were saying, but her presentation was so much better.

(This was going to be an adjunct to another post, but I've forgotten what it was about. I think my brain is struggling to recover from that maturation vat it fell into. It's gone all soggy. Or maybe I'm being distracted by these YouTube battles I'm getting involved with lately. Two more tonight.)

No comments: