Wednesday 8 July 2015

Deep Purple.

I'm currently in one of those subdued troughs where I say nothing because nothing seems worth saying. But I did find this:


I've no idea what the lyrics to this song mean. I don't want to know because I don't need to know. For me, music - even when sung - was ever about sense and sensation, not verbal expression. That's the job of the poet. And this, I have to say, is one of the most powerfully melancholic pieces of music I've ever heard. It's breathtakingly beautiful, taking the mind to that dark, divine place where the greatest works of man pale in the face of his inevitable mortality.

This isn't morning or evening or night music. It stands apart from life's normal parameters, practical or temporal, speaking to the mind that is empty of point and purpose. It seems to say 'Melancholy is a perfectly proper state of perception. It's simply the means by which you look through the veil and wonder what lies hidden in the purple mist beyond.'

No comments: