Sunday 19 July 2015

On Bigness and Buttons.

I read this week that Google has become second only to Apple in the corporate Mr Big stakes. I gather it gave their staff something to cheer about (no matter what else is happening in the world that might be of slightly more consequence) and it’s all due to the increased advertising revenue on phones and YouTube, apparently.

OK, since the whole corporate Mr Big thing impresses me less than that horrible sinking feeling you get when you realise you’ve put a boot on and squashed a slug that was languishing innocently within it, and since – in my estimation – Google has gone sadly downhill since they stopped being the Saviour of Search Engines and aspired to corporate bigness, and since half the time the boys at Google couldn’t organise a bun fight in a bread shop, might I make a request?

Google, would you please have the decency to arrange for a time lapse to be inserted between pressing the Skip Ad button and getting the pointer across to the Mute Off one? I’m truly grateful for the Skip Ad button, but it’s maddening that I have to miss the first two notes of the music. Kind of takes the edge off the experience, you know?

No comments: