Saturday 4 July 2015

Counterproductive.

Two days ago I ordered something online, and it arrived in the post this morning. On the package, in big, bold letters, is printed:

SENT FIRST CLASS IN APPRECIATION
OF YOUR VALUED CUSTOM.

So what they’re claiming is that they’re doing me a favour in return for my buying something from them. But hang on a minute… They charge for the freggin' postage! So where’s the favour?

And then there’s the email they sent yesterday confirming dispatch. It didn’t begin: ‘This is to let you know that your order has been dispatched.’ It began:

Great News!

Why is it ‘Great News!’ I’ve ordered something, I’ve paid for it, they’ve sent it to me. That’s all there is to it.

Did I ever say that I get quite cross when companies try to manipulate my image of them with transparently disingenuous hype? It really discourages me from using them, you know? It does.

No comments: