Monday 21 February 2011

Yet Another Visitor?

Something odd happened yesterday. It was lunchtime and I was in my living room when I heard the house phone ring in the office. I went through, picked up the call and said ‘hello.’ A voice came back almost simultaneously with ‘hello,’ and then there was silence. I assumed it was one of those automatically generated junk calls and rang off.

Then, out of idle curiosity, I checked to see what number had called. It was familiar; it was my mobile number. The mobile was sitting about eighteen inches away from the house phone on my desk. I checked the calls register in the mobile and, sure enough, it had called my home phone a few minutes earlier. It had obviously been my own voice that I’d heard coming back to me. Bear in mind that I wasn’t even in the room when the call was made, so I couldn’t have accidentally pressed a key on the mobile.

I asked a retired science teacher today if he could explain it. He scratched his head and eventually said ‘fairies.’ I wonder whether he might have been right, because the CD player in my living room switched itself on today as well. And then, shortly after that, I heard an unfamiliar sound come from the direction of the TV, which was switched off. I looked in that direction and saw a shadow pass across it.

Now do you understand why Helen was nervous about living with me?

7 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I wish things like this would happen to me. I think.

JJ said...

THey've been happening since I was a kid, Andrea. I pretty much stopped being frightened of them in my early twenties, although I have to admit that the human-sized shadows passing across walls and floors at my last house spooked me a bit. I was OK with the bright flashes of light (which Helen saw more often than I did.)

Oddly, they rarely happen when I've been drinking alcohol.

Nuutj said...

You wouldn't be so surprised if you were surrounded by shrines and altars everywhere like me and many Thai people.

My sister has her altar of aborted children souls. Others own the same, and they might hear o see those souls playing in thier houses sometimes.

Della said...

Oh, that's a wonderful story, I agree with Andrea and wish things like this would happen to me. Although the other day someone rattled the bathroom door while my son was in there taking a shower and he swore it wasn't him, it wasn't me either and the others were on the far side of the apartment. My husband said it was shrinking wood, but hearing your story I like to think otherwise.

JJ said...

Mei-shan: My surprise is tempered by use these days. As I said, these things have been hapeening all my life. I seem to attract them. THe idea of having shrines to aborted children is very touching.

Della: Shrinking boards and airlocks are the good old staples that explain all these things, I've found. Only they don't - not in my experience. I've noticed there's been an increase in my peculiar happenings since I started writing, so maybe writing about these things helps to thin the veil. Helen certainly thought so!

Jeanne said...

What song was playing when the CD came on? Maybe someone is trying to tell you something....
I once shared a house with someone who liked classical music - specifically Beethoven. And the someone was a ghost/spirit/haunt. The song Fur Elise by Beethoven would appear on the answering machine's recorded outgoing message. I tried new cassette tapes in the answering machine and yet the song would be there right before the caller would hear my voice. But the song wasn't always there. Never did figure that one out......
Alcohol can impair one's vision into "the mist" while writing can enhance the ability - just my opinion.....
Been so busy, I haven't stopped by for awhile. And have missed the visits to the cottage on the moors...

JJ said...

No music, Jeanne, just the power getting switched on and the display lit up. What's odd is that the CD player is in a place where it can't get switched on accidentally.

The Fur Elise story is a good one. A ghost with good taste.

And now I'm even more convinced that having a few scotches before going to bed is a good idea!