Tuesday 15 February 2011

Two More Notes.

Two notes on tonight’s entertainment:

First, I watched a very good French film called Lemming. One review said it was ‘a bit too weird for its own good,’ and while I was watching the film I was tempted to agree. But then, after it had finished, I realised that it's actually a straightforward story about ghostly possession. It just didn’t have the standard pointers, which is one of many things in its favour. So if ever you watch it, you just have to know two things. Alice is the prime mover in everything, both before and after she’s dead. And the lemming isn’t merely a lemming; it’s also a red herring.

Then I read another chapter of The Mists of Avalon. Tell you what, I’ve gone well off that childish little tart Guinevere (and so has Lancelet, apparently!) I’m off Arthur, too, for not having the balls to kick her down the nearest well. Bring back the minx Morgaine, I say. Bloody Christians!

7 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I agree; Guinevere gets on my last nerve.

JJ said...

Actually, I shouldn't have called her a tart, should I? In the circumstances, that might amount to a compliment. 'Brat' would be more appropriate.

JJ said...

Oh, and the fact that I'm taking her this seriously suggests I'm well into the book.

andrea kiss said...

Brat is fitting. Very.

JJ said...

I've had some sympathy for her up until now, but this banner business before the Battle of Mount Badon is going way too far. If you ask me, Uriens should take her away to keep his dragon content!

Wendy said...

I laughed so hard reading this post, Jeff. Actually, I just finished reading a fantastic Arthurian book, although not as good as "Mists..." where both Guinevere and Morgaine were both strong pagan women. I got so used to thinking of Guinevere as being namby pamby but this book was an interesting twist.

JJ said...

What's interesting to me, Wendy, is that all our Arthurian stereotypes come from mediaeval male writers. Seeing a different side of them from a woman's mentality is most instructive.