Wednesday 2 February 2011

A Proud Record.

I was in the supermarket today, and saw a young woman reaching down to get something from a lower shelf. She was bending at the waist, and so her bottom was sticking up in the air. I assumed her mother had failed to instil in her a proper sense of decorum, and that the young woman had been, as we say in my neck of the woods, ‘badly brung up.’

But then it occurred to me that she might have been perfectly well brung up. Maybe she just didn’t care for such niceties. Maybe she was a rebel. Maybe she had braces or other impediments on her knees, and couldn’t bend them. Maybe she had two tin legs, like Douglas Bader. We really shouldn’t judge, should we?

Anyway, that isn’t the point of the post. The point is that when young women wave their bottoms about for all to see, the average passing male feels a natural inclination to do something with it. His Freudian components engage in a conversation, which runs:

The Id says ‘Go on lad, get stuck in.’

The Ego says ‘Ah, but think about the consequences. Could be dire’

The Super Ego says ‘Just hang on, you two. Would it be ethical? I think not!’

And then I realised that at no time in my life have I ever pinched a woman’s bottom. Do I get a medal?

6 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I've smacked many a lady's bottom that was up in the air like that :o) I did it in high school when girls were at their lockers and i've done it at work before. But since i am a woman everyone thinks its funny.

JJ said...

I'm told Italian men get away with it as a matter of course, Andrea. In Britain, I'd probably get crucified with extra blunt nails. Not that I would do it anyway, of course. It would be too disrespectful, even by my poor standards.

Wendy said...

The first thing that came into my mind when I read this was thinking of female baboons when they're in "estrus/heat" and their bottoms turn bright colors to attract males. Perhaps unconsciously or consciously she's in estrus? And it takes a man with a good sense of ego and Id not to take advantage of situations like this, Jeff. Btw, I loved the 5 words you used to describe yourself on my post. Although I'd perhaps switch "discerning" for "intolerant." And why not be discerning?

JJ said...

What a strange first thing to come into a lady's mind, Wendy. I think you must have been one of those wicked women they were so fond of after the Reformation. I'm really glad women's bottoms don't change colour when they get excited. If they did, I think I might have spent my life hiding in the woods.

I'll take discerning. Thank you.

Dinner time. The lengthening days are confusing my body clock.

andrea kiss said...

I've heard not so good things about Italian men, especially when it comes to their treatment of women tourists.

I've heard/read things before about how a lot of women will subconsciously dress and behave a little more provocatively while ovulating. Or when they are about to. Much better than bums that change color.

JJ said...

This has the makings of a unique chat up line, Andrea. It'll have to wait until my next life, though, so I've got plenty of time to work on it.