Friday 11 February 2011

Girls, Big and Small.

Just a little addendum to my recent post about little girls. I was saying something like this to my daughter recently, and it seems she feels the same way about little boys. She says they need more TLC because, according to her, little girls are tougher. Since she has considerably more experience of children than I have, I must demur to her opinion. And it sounds about right anyway.

On the subject of bigger girls, I’m greatly enjoying Mists of Avalon, and I’m definitely becoming a Morgaine man. She has the spirit to defy the laws of the universe, minx or not. (Or maybe that’s what minxes do.) Not sure I’d want to get too close to her in real life, though. She’d scare me witless.

4 comments:

Zz... said...

how old is this daughter? i always assumed she was a full grown adult?? how many do you have! just wondering if I gave you more years than you really have...lol

p.s it's WOMEN who aren't supposed to reveal their age, LOL!

JJ said...

I explained this to you in great detail, Zhen dear. My daughter is, indeed, a full grown adult; and I have only the one; and you may give me as many years as you like. I'm truly ancient. I'm the guy who sits in the corner in Chinese films, nodding and struggling with the spoon.

Jfromtheblock said...

soo glad you're enjoying the mists of avalon! I was thinking about that book this morning. its been so long since I last touched a copy I've forgotten some of the names, but golly, I love hearing people talk about it. How are you finding dear Gwen? I suppose you don't hate her as much as I did. I love Morgaine. There's a BBC adaptation of the movie, of course it's nowhere near as good as the book. Oh Lancelet!! I think I love them all, even Gwen by the end..

JJ said...

I've had sympathy for Gwen from the start. She's a bit irritating at times, but it all stems from insecurity. I think her heart's in the right place.

What's coming over most strongly is the female authorship. For me, all the complex, interesting characters are women. The men are a bit too stock. Lancelet is a bit too 'Hollywood,' Arthur is a bit too honourable, etc.

Morgaine is, indeed, the star; but for as much as I respect her greatly, I doubt I would handle her in real life. Her passion is just a bit too uncompromising and she doesn't shave her legs.