Friday 25 February 2011

Random Oddities.

I’m feeling tired, dull and altogether superfluous tonight. It’s all these alarm calls taking their toll. Just a few oddities, though.

My ex, Helen, visited me today. We spent a lot of time talking about the bloke she lives with now, and also about another one of her ex’s adventures with the women currently in his life. I like him; we have a lot in common. Still an odd choice of subject, but amusing nonetheless.

At dusk tonight the air was alive with bird song – every trill, whistle, chatter and melodious warble you could think of coming from all directions. That’s unusual for February, but very pleasant.

Mr Megane, the Red Renault of Roston, behaved himself almost impeccably on our trips to and from the railway station. I expressed my gratitude, just to let him know he’s appreciated.

Despite having known Helen for fifteen years, I still find her uncommonly attractive. Now that really is odd. In fact, it’s unprecedented.

Whilst talking to her about the search for meaning, it occurred to me that seeking knowledge is ultimately pointless because there’s actually nothing to find. No idea where that one leapt from.

I decided that I still want to go and explore those dimensions that you have to explore alone.

I’m currently doing another edit on my novel. I haven’t looked at it for nearly a year, and I’m being pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing. The chances of it ever being published, however, are still as near zero as makes no difference.

Despite developing a tendency to shrug my shoulders a lot these days, life continues to intrigue.

I bought a new toaster yesterday. I spent money. That’s maybe the oddest thing of all.

5 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

I greatly miss the birds. We're starting to hear one or two in the morning when it's not too frigid out, but they're few and far between.

Enjoy the new toaster.

Della said...

So Jeff, are you still searching for an agent/publisher for your novel?

Unknown said...

Very strange topic of conversation with your ex-wife. I guess I've only read and heard about the bad divorces, though, the ones that end in the parents hating each other and never speaking to each other again.

Jeanne said...

Bird song filling the air is a sure sign of Spring. :0)
Alarm calls?? Did I miss something??

JJ said...

Kaetlyn: The bird song is mesmerising when there are maybe half a dozen species all singing at the same time. There's one bird - I assume it's a blackbird - that has the most complex, fascinating range of expressions that goes on changing for maybe two minutes or more. Then it gets answered by another one from the opposite direction. It really does sound like a language.

Della: Not sure what I'm going to do with the novel yet. I don't think it's commercial enough to interest an agent (plus I'm not a 'career author') and the small press novel publishers can be such a pain. There is one in Ohio I might trust it with, but we've lost contact and it would mean breaking the ice again.

Emily: I'm simply not the type to 'never speak to each other again.' Life moves on and everybody has their own reasons for doing what they do. Besides, Helen and I are as close as it gets to soul mates, I think.

Jeanne: It certainly is spring-like here at the moment, though it's supposed to be cooling off again this weekend. The alarm calls simply referred to two successive nights of less-than-adequate sleep.