Saturday 12 February 2011

In the Swim.

I spent about twenty minutes today talking to a woman from the village who was out walking her dog. She’s a lawyer (the woman, that is, not the dog. The dog was a Labrador.) She and her husband are members of the professional set who haunt the English countryside these days. Nevertheless, we did have a perfectly reasonable, intelligent conversation. And her teenage daughter wants to become a gypsy, apparently, a desire to which the lawyer takes exception, but I begged to differ.

So there you have it; I can still relate to real people, if only for twenty minutes. But I just realised that it’s probably why I feel so tired tonight. The effort has obviously taken its toll.

2 comments:

Carmen said...

it was that bad?

JJ said...

Well, I was more anxious to wrap up the conversation than she seemed to be. And I felt really sorry for her dog. She looked very bored. If it had just been me and the dog, I'd have stayed there much longer.