Thursday 10 February 2011

Thank Heaven for Little Girls?

I was just listening to Fields of Gold again and I had a chastening thought. What the hell would I do if a woman really did say to me ‘Will you stay with me? Will you be my love?’

This has a ring to it. It’s an echo of that classic image in which a little girl who’s lost her father somehow looks up at you with imploring eyes and says ‘Will you be my daddy now, please?’

Problem. I’m the world’s greatest sucker when it comes to little girls. I can’t refuse them anything. They’re magical and sacrosanct, princesses all; and princesses have the power to command in a way kings never can. I swear that if the world was ruled by little girls instead of turd-like politicians, I’d be going through life no more than a grovelling earthworm!

So maybe it’s a good job nobody’s ever going to say it to me.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

You remind me of Maurice Chevalier singing "Thank heavens for little girls" from "Gigi" Jeff...

JJ said...

I do a perfect impression, Wendy. It's the only way I can do Gallic charm.