Tuesday 22 February 2011

Being Frank.

I went for a walk today, and took the route along Mill Lane where Sarah lives. I’d walked a little way beyond her house when I heard a woman’s voice call my name. It was Sarah with Inca, her cocker spaniel, on a lead. She hurried towards me.

‘Can we walk with you?’ she asked.

‘Of course, it would be my pleasure. But why would you want to?’

‘I’ve seen a funny man around here a couple of times and he makes me nervous.’

‘Funny? In what way?’

‘Oh, I dunno, he’s just weird and gives me the creeps.’

‘Has he ever approached you or said anything?’

‘No. He just looks at me in a way that makes me shiver.’

My next statement just leapt out, seemingly of its own volition. I swear it was somebody else talking.

‘I’m surprised any man bothers to look at you at all.’

Her face coloured for a second and she took an involuntary breath. She looked hurt and confused.

‘There’s more,’ I continued, smiling. ‘Shall I go on?’

She looked defensive and shrugged her shoulders, and so I told her how I’d made a blog post about her once. I explained how she seemed to make a conscious effort to appear plain and unassuming, but that when she started talking her personality came alive and her eyes radiated a rare beauty.

The expression on her face relaxed a little, and changed to one of questioning. And then she bit her bottom lip and we carried on walking. There was silence for a while. Eventually we talked about the weather.

Did this really happen or did I make it up? Guess.

6 comments:

andrea kiss said...

This is a tough one. I think you made it up. I also think we readers will never know because you aren't going to tell.

Della said...

Well you may be honest and a little opinionated :) but too polite to be so frank I think. I'm also doubtful about Sarah's reaction – being hurt and confused – it seems so passive. Maybe I'm too Italian-American/NY to imagine it.. and who is the funny man she saw who gave her the creeps? Was it you and she just didn't remember? Then no surprise about your remark..

JJ said...

Andrea: I'm glad you think it's a tough one. Thank you.

Della: If you knew Sarah... Italian-American/NY she ain't. Opinionated?! You cut me to the quick, madam!

Della said...

:) oh, so no answer?

Jeanne said...

I am in agreement with Della. You are not that crass. You may have imagined it while you were walking with her.....

JJ said...

Della: No. What's the licking-out-tongue thingy?

Jeanne: Not so crass, actually. Delivering a diversionary insult followed by a compliment, or vice versa, is a common conversational ploy over here. It's particularly prevalent among Liverpudlians, a city with which my home town has cultural links.