Wednesday 23 February 2011

An English Anglophile.

I was thinking today...

I’m currently driving a red Renault Megane. Of all the cars I’ve had, my parents had, and the various women I’ve lived with had, only two were Renaults – and they were both red.

The first was a Renault Dauphin my stepfather bought when I was a kid. He called it a ‘Ren-awlt Dolphin.’ I told him what the correct pronunciation was, and even explained what a Dauphin was, but he would have none of it. There was no way he was going to start speaking bloody French, he said, and the car was a Dolphin whether I liked it or not.

I learned a lot from my stepfather.

2 comments:

Jfromtheblock said...

there is something unsurprising at all about you owning a red car. I can't imagine any other colour for you.

JJ said...

I don't actually own it, Jen. It's one side of a reciprocal arrangement I have with a car mecahnic of long acquaintance - he keeps me on the road in return for me doing his accounts and tax returns. Must say, though, I do love the colour.

Somebody once chided me for my love of red. They said it was a child's colour, the colour of nurseries. Well, my office is coloured white, black and red, and it doesn't look much like a nursery.