Sunday 6 February 2011

Reversing the Hex.

Quite early on in The Mists of Avalon, somebody puts a hex on Igraine’s husband, Gorlois, so that - if you’ll excuse the expression - he can’t get it up. This is to ensure that her son-bearing potential is reserved for her coming liaison with Uther Pendragon.

I think somebody has done the same with my mind, for the intended return to normality hasn’t happened today. My mental faculty feels failed and flaccid. I am positively fallen into the sear, the yellow leaf.

I tried reading, watching the TV and listening to music. They only held my interest for as long as they lasted. I was briefly disgusted by David Cameron’s latest descent into ignoble opportunism, but I’ve long since ceased to expect anything better of senior politicians so there didn’t seem much point in getting too excited about it. I was briefly amused that somebody found my blog by searching jean butler legs, but that failed to ignite any lasting enthusiasm. I had a short conversation with a retired science teacher about the extent to which birds are capable of abstract thought. Not a lot of joy there. And somebody gave me two bottles of whisky, which produced a mild and brief sense of euphoria, but the only lasting effect was to have me calculating how much money I’d save on my next two visits to Sainsbury’s.

So, for the moment at least, it seems I have to admit to needing something that is not only external but also inspired to get me up and running again. Something pleasant, I might emphasise, or at least something that produces the required tingle in a way that is not unpleasant. In short, some nice magic.

I think I might be barking up an empty tree.

10 comments:

Orphin Lasz said...

Whenever I have felt this way, I always listen to classical music, it never ceases to inspire me.
Also, try reading a good book! Reading what the great writters have to say is always beautiful and never a waste of time. I'm sure you will feel better after reading a good book.

Have you ever read Faust? I'm sure you will find Herr Goethe's ideas absolutely astonishing c:

Either way, I hope you feel well and alive again soon!

JJ said...

Orphin, how nice to see you. I thought you'd left the blogosphere. I thought about you when I read about the unusually cold weather in northern Mexico.

No worries on my account. I'm just in a treading water phase at the moment. They happen.

Nuutj said...

May I recommend you to meditate ? I heard people learned to read others'mind, have stronger intuition, recalled past lives etc by it.

What I got from meditation is ability to catch some thoughts (out of average 60,000 thoughts in normal human). IMO, it's fun and useful that I can choose appropriate behaviour instead of react.

Anthropomorphica said...

Hope it's passed Jeff, inevitable as they are those days are a pain in the botty. Hibernating with a book, looking at some great artwork and blasting the cobwebs with a hefty dose of opera. You could try reeling around to The Irish Rover just for fun.

JJ said...

Difficult, Mei-shan. Most of the people I know well meditate on a regular basis, but I never could. My problem is that I'm part mystic, part thinker, and part slob. Whenever I try to meditate, the thinker and the slob start arguing and distract me. Seriously!

Melanie, are you psychic or what? How did you know The Irish Rover's been going around and around in my head for the last few days? Tonight I plan to hibernate with a British comedy film (Hot Fuzz.) It had better be funny!

Anthropomorphica said...

I've heard it's a funny one, but haven't seen it. The Irish Rover always lifts me so I'm glad it was rolling around there!! Hasn't the wind been wild, there have been trees cleaved in half here.

Anthropomorphica said...

The curse of The Irish Rover, I have two puncture wounds on my eyebrow due to The Irish Rover and my crazy lurcher, what did I unleash :)

JJ said...

Hot Fuzz was made by the same people who did Shaun of the Dead. The review said it wasn't quite up to the same standard, but was still worth watching. I agree. There are some funny moments.

The wind hasn't been quite that bad here, but I saw a few branches ripped off when I went for a walk today. Got my exercise by moving one of the bigger ones off the road.

Puncture wounds? Lurcher? You're being enigmatic again.

JJ said...

Come to think of it, Mel, the more I think about Hot Fuzz, the more I think it's actually quite a good film. And I think you'd like it. It takes a good swipe at Middle England.

Anthropomorphica said...

I'll have to watch it.
Not enigmatic, just silly. I was cavorting around to said song and my dog got over excited, leapt in the air and nipped my eyebrow!