Saturday 24 July 2010

The Summer of Our Discontent.

How often do I hear people say they’re bored? They want something but they don’t know what it is. Or else they’re frustrated because they do know what it is but, for one reason or another, they can’t have it.


Simple cultures don’t seem to have this problem. When I read books or watch documentaries on anthropology, I never get the impression that the inhabitants of those cultures are fundamentally discontented. They live in a stable world that functions on tradition and in harmony with nature. What is there to be discontented about as long as they have peace, good health and the regular cycles of the seasons? They’re not conditioned to be discontented; not, that is, until they’re exposed to more ‘advanced’ cultures through TV and tourism.


We in the wealthy, highly technologised culture of the developed world, however, are conditioned to be discontented. On the face of it, we live in a glorious summer of prosperity at the cutting edge of invention and innovation. But it comes at a price. It bombards us with a bewildering array of opportunity and aspiration. It instils into us from a very early age that whatever we have, there is always something more to want. And in so doing, it ensures that we never have everything we want. The result is a chronic state of discontent.


Is it surprising that stress levels are observed to be far lower in simple cultures? Has all our much-prized invention and innovation made us happier human beings. I think not.


So is there any way to get back a more fundamental lifestyle? I don’t think so, not until the bankers and the corporate giants conspire to blow the whole thing apart, or nature does it for us. Can we move forward with what we’ve got to a better future? Not, I think, unless we accept the need for a radical redistribution of wealth and re-alignment of basic principles. I can’t see that happening; the human animal is far too greedy, selfish and competitive.


I’m glad I’m nearer the end of my life than the beginning.

4 comments:

lucy said...

I understand, Jeff.

Wendy said...

There's a few important question that have helped me when I'm feeling jaded/bored or discontent: a) what is enough? I do think of those cultures who seem to have so little yet at the same time, unfortunately alcoholism and drug abuse are running rampant, so I don't think they're totally satisfied with their lot. b) I meditate by just stilling those voices or at least I attempt to and quietly with as much compassion as I can muster b) what is it I really want? company, self-nurturing, to feel more confident that has nothing to do with external Dalai Lama himself has said, he has a constant struggle with not wanting more and worrying about tomorrow. I know for you and I both, he serves as a wonderful role-model. So, I realize in the end, it's about consciousness, compassion, humour and just realizing we're all doing the best we can. Thank you for always bringing me t deeper thoughts and contemplations, Jeff, Namaste.

JJ said...

I hope you don’t think this was directed specifically at you, Lucy. It is true that the sense of frustration I feel coming through your blog lately prompted me to jot something down, but it’s a question I’ve been musing on for years and touched on in previous posts. Believe it or not, I’ve grown a bit fond of you and it bugs me to see you bothered like this. And it isn’t your fault. It’s been conditioned into all of us by the actions of our ancestors.

Hi Wendy. I wonder whether we’re at cross purposes over ‘simple cultures.’ I’m not talking about those like the American Indians or Australian Aborigines, who are forced to live cheek-by-jowl with a more powerful and supposedly superior culture. I’m sure they have every reason to be dissatisfied! (And I have to ask ‘who is it that supplies them with the drugs and alcohol?’) I’m talking about those cultures still relatively untouched by the influence of the techno world – those referred to as the ‘leavers’ in Ishmael. There can’t be many of them left now because, one way or another, we won’t leave them alone. They’re the ones who are still living without stress. They also use drugs, of course – have been for thousands of years. But they use them sensibly as part of their altogether more wholesome lifestyle. It isn’t an issue with them.

As for the Dalai Lama, I wonder whether he would have felt the same way had he not been forced into exile in the west. I remember the King of Bhutan, quite a few years ago now, banning TVs in his country because he didn’t want people to be influenced by western material values. He was mocked as a lunatic over here. Not by me, he wasn’t.

Bottom line, though. I’m not suggesting that there’s much we can do about this. The purpose of the post wasn’t to lay blame on the inhabitants of modern, developed countries. I was simply musing on the question: ‘Has the development of a wealthy and highly technological culture actually made us happier?’ I really don’t think it has. We have far more stress, substance abuse and suicides than non-influenced, simple cultures do. So was it worth it? And then there’s the question of what we’re doing to the planet.

Maria Sondule said...

What do you mean by simpler cultures?
If the simpler cultures are the poorer ones, then they have their own share of problems like diseases and hard lives that often lead to a lower life expectancy. Sometimes the poor situation of these simple countries leads to extreme violence and revolutions.
I don't think there's a problem with the "go get it!" attitude that our culture displays- at least not in this respect. The problem is that our culture says that people should get stuff just to get it, and not because they really want it. Then, we accumulate so many things that we need more and more stimulation to make ourselves happy. If people accepted the challenge of society and used it to accumulate things that they really wanted, and then appreciated them, people would say they were "contented" rather than bored.