Tuesday 13 July 2010

Another PC.

I just watched an alleged horror film called The Woods. It was all done to the predictable formula and contained about as much horror as there are brain cells in GW’s head. The west doesn’t really do horror films any more. The Chinese and Japanese have that market now. They still understand subtlety. It had one thing to commend it, however: Patricia Clarkson.

She is a superb actress. I remember being highly impressed with her performance in The Station Agent; and although The Woods doesn’t provide her with anything like the same sort of quality platform, she still excels.

Maybe it helps that she plays The Evil One. (It’s a pity she has to be a witch, but that’s just formula and mindless prejudice again. Most of the witches I’ve come into contact with have been among the least ‘evil’ people I’ve known.) Anyway, the point is that I have a soft spot for evil women for some reason. In fiction, that is. For me, the most compelling character in the Narnia Chronicles is the Queen. Dastardly though she may be, at least she’s sexy and honest. Aslan is syrupy and self-righteous, and the kids are hypocrites.

In real life, of course, I like nice people. But that’s the point, isn’t it?

2 comments:

lucy said...

I can't stand horror movies, they scare the hell out of me! And I always cheer for the good people, even in fiction. I don't know why, but maybe it's because I just like nice people better :P

JJ said...

Gosh. I think the only scary horror films I've seen in the last God-knows-how-many years wre The Audition and Ringu, which were both Japanese.