Tuesday 20 July 2010

The English Peasant.

I know a lowly miner
Who lives on chips and beans.
He says there’s nothing finer when
You haven’t got the means
To eat that flashy foreign food
Like curry, quiche and stuff
It’s all too dear, and really
Doesn’t fill him up enough.
 
And so he sticks to simple fare,
The sort the British like,
At least the proper Scouser
Or the Geordie or the Tyke.
‘The toffs can keep their fancy grub,
It isn’t right for me.
I’m proud to be an Englishman
And ever more shall be.’

4 comments:

Shayna said...

I dare say there is a bit of the 'chips and beans' miner in me ... wonderful poem.

JJ said...

Morning Shay. That 'you won't catch me eating foreign food' attitude is nearly gone now. Even miners eat curry! But it used to be very prevalent at one time.

'French fries' disn't fit the metre.

Wendy said...

Is that you Jeff, a "simple english" bloke who lives on beans? lol...I thought it was going to be a dirty ditty...I agree with you about the gravity and the techniques in Star Wars, but I don't get too serious about those physics with those type of movies. For some reason, your blog is showing up in only code on eWitch on the blogroll....Is that physics or what? I get disappointed because I want to read your latest posts and they're all garbled.

JJ said...

Not really me, Wendy. It was a comment on the attitude that prevailed when I was growing up. Times have changed.

I've been having a number of problems with Blogger ever since I switched from Explorer to Firefox. I really should post about it on their forum.

Is True Blood your new blog? Will click on it and take a look. Nice to hear from you. I didn't think you'd be speaking to me after what I said about Ewan McGregor!