Thursday 15 July 2010

Is This News?

One of the ‘headlines’ on BBC Ceefax today related to the fact that July 15th is St Swithin’s Day. For those who don’t know, there’s a bit of old British folklore which claims that if it rains on St Swithin’s Day it will continue to rain for the next forty days and forty nights. Has it ever done so, I wonder? I doubt it.

But the BBC has to put this piece up every year. They even interview a Met Office spokesman to assure us that there is ‘no meteorological basis for such a belief.’ Really? Did we need to be told that? Are there no more worthy news items floating about out there?

What concerns me more is that there might be people who do need to be told that.

And as an unrelated aside, my flag counter tells me that my blog has been visited by people from twenty five different countries, including twenty six states of the US. Why? How do all those people manage to come across some little bloke sitting in the middle of rural England who likes to moan about things?

I’m glad they do, though. Good evening, Lady India.

No comments: