Friday 23 July 2010

Blame Google.

If you’re wondering why the link colours on my blog have gone haywire to the point of being effectively unreadable, blame Google. They’ve screwed it up, and my efforts to unscrew the problem have so far proved fruitless. I’m awaiting a reply from their Help forum on the issue.


This is what so irks me about modern technology. Not only does it force us to keep up with a game controlled (if that’s the right word) by the Googles, the Microsofts, the Apples, and all the other technocrats of the modern world, it also has us tearing out our hair in trying to cope with the increasing propensity for dysfunctionality over which these much-vaunted whiz kids are presiding.


Is it so naïve of me to believe in ‘Make it function; keep it simple; don’t mend it if it isn’t broken?’


We’re not improving the world. We’re just paying people to pour more water into the quicksand on which an increasingly technological system is based. I’ve no doubt what the result will be.


How long? I don’t know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On my screen your links are a bright, royal blue, which does make them difficult to read. I thought Google offered the most user-friendly of the hosted blogging systems. Wordpress has its problems, too. Things come and go sometimes inexplicably, and it took me a full year to grasp some of the techy-nerdy lingo (though the concepts themselves continue to baffle). In general, though, these free blog systems are brilliant tools and many people use them professionally in lieu of websites which can be very costly.

Jeff, your Creepy Story 1 fascinates. I assume there'll be a part 2?

JJ said...

Hi Della. I know; I do confess to being grateful for free blog systems. I still think, though, that this constant drive to 'improve' things often results in them being both more confusing and sometimes more prone to breakdown. So should I become a hunter-gatherer? Wouldn't know how, would I?

And yes, I set it up for part 2 - and three and four at least.

Wendy said...

Are you any good at css, Jeff? The default of any links on blogs are blue, red and whatever color "they" like to choose. If you want any help with your blog and links let me know, it's very, very easy to fix and I agree with you as wonderful as technology is, it can also frustrate the heck out of anyone.

And I'll let you slip by with the Ewan Mc. comments even though I almost wanted to say, "well, there's no accounting for taste" but then I remembered you're a "Peakie" like me and that makes all the difference!!

JJ said...

Thanks. Wendy. I think I'll drop you an e-mail later.