Saturday 17 July 2010

The House Fly.


In a recent post I mentioned the house fly that took up residence with me last summer. No sooner had I written that than this year’s visitor arrived. So I wrote a little ditty.

I have a little house fly
Who follows me around.
He really doesn’t pester me
And never makes a sound.

Except for buzzing wings, that is,
We take that one as read.
Apart from that I only hear
His thoughts inside my head.

‘I’m such a lucky house fly,’
He says. ‘This pad’s a find.
I’m sitting here on Jeffrey’s wall
And Jeffrey doesn’t mind!’

‘Of course I don’t,’ I tell him back,
‘We’re just two kindred souls.
We’ve got our different roads to walk
And slightly different goals.

But otherwise we’re just the same,
Mere fragments manifest
As flesh and blood and earthly needs
That put us to the test.

So ‘welcome’ little house fly,
Do come in from the cold.
And stay as long as you desire
Or ’til we both grow old.

So, am I delightfully dotty or disarmingly sane? I know which one I’m going for.

10 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

I love it!
It totally goes to the tune of I'm a Little Teapot, except it's fun and it actually has meaning.
This is a really great poem; it reminds me of Shel Silverstein, who always manages to be deep while finny and quaint.

Maria Sondule said...

PS I'm commenting into the future! here isn't not the 17th yet. :D

JJ said...

Good morning, Maria, and thank you. I didn't know there was a tune to I'm a Little Teapot. Welcome to the 17th. A correspondent in NJ tells me it's very hot there, so I expect you're getting the same. I'm curious to know what the Subway manager will do if the fridges break down. Re-employ you all as punkah wallas at reduced pay, perhaps.

Anonymous said...

A surfeit of ditties from you. What do you do on weekends?

Anonymous said...

Are you writing poetry now, Jeff? I notice the trend, glancing at your recent posts – oh, and a new story, I'll have to get over there soon. Here the summer is unbearably hot and we're all a little aimless (more than usual).

JJ said...

You may blame yourself, Lady India. You were the one who said 'encore.' (Thank you.) And the weekends are the same as any other day to me.

You sound a little down. Della. Hope you're OK. No, I'm not writing poetry now. I'm not a poet. These are things that jump into my head late at night.

Shayna said...

A very sweet tribute to your new housemate, mate!

JJ said...

Thanks, Shay. E-mail pending.

lucy said...

Delightfully dotty, definitely ;)

JJ said...

Thanks, Lu. I think...

Can't I be both?