Monday 19 July 2010

Slaves to Ambition.

I’ve never been ambitious. I’ve had lots of aspirations, and have realised the majority – just far enough to get as much as I can get from them before moving on to another one. Aspiration is OK. Ambition is something different, and I dislike it. Ambition carries a highly dislikeable connotation. It’s generally about getting to the top, and often brings with it a ruthless imperative that has no truck with kindness, compassion or consideration. Macbeth was ambitious: ‘I have no spur to prick the sides of my intent, but only vaulting ambition.’ Yes indeed.


And yet we foster it more and more in a culture increasingly obsessed with targets and the cult of personality. It begins in school, where kids are put under unconscionable pressure to ‘succeed.’ Succeed at what? Getting a ‘good education?’ Who defines what a ‘good education’ should be? They’re too young to have the seed of vaulting ambition sown in them that way, and feel the pressures it brings with it, even before they’ve started to make sense of the big wide world. And it doesn’t stop there. The seed grows, as indeed it’s meant to grow, into a relentless force that stays with them throughout their working lives. It might lead to success of sorts to some of them, but at what price? Forty years of stress sitting constantly on their shoulders while they worship the god of ambition. What kind of a life is that?


I want to quote a couple of extracts from Khalil Gibran’s first complete book, Spirit Brides. Bear in mind that it was written in America over a hundred years ago.


We who spend the bulk of our lives in densely populated cities know virtually nothing of those who inhabit the secluded villages and farms of Lebanon. We have joined the tide of modern civilization, coming to forget or ignore the philosophy of that lovely, simple life filled with purity and goodness. Whenever we contemplate that life, we find it radiant in the springtime, heavy laden in the summer, fruitful in the fall, cozy in the winter. It resembles Mother Nature in all her phases. We exceed the villagers in our wealth, but they are more noble than we in their souls; we sow much but reap nothing, while they harvest whatever they sow. We are slaves to our ambitions, while they are children of their contentment. We imbibe the elixir of life mixed with bitterness, despair, fear and ennui, whereas they drink it pure.


***


Youth is a delicious dream, the savor of which is stolen by the riddles of textbooks that render it a harsh vigil. Will ever a day come when sages can combine the reveries of youth with the joys of learning, the way a common enemy unites the hearts of those who hate one another? Will a time arrive when nature becomes the teacher of the son of Adam, and humanity his book, and life his school? We do not know.


I’m glad you’re not here to see it, Mr Gibran. It’s getting worse, not better.

10 comments:

Ruthie Redden said...

I so agree, ambition is a dangerous thing, me & mine have a yearning to achieve or indeed aspire - i aspire to be a better artist, but ambition makes things complicated. All i could ever wish for is that my 3 are happy & healthy & each doing something that they love. Hoping all is well at your end, its been a while, i could do with two of me lol!

ps; the area in my photos is kirkcudbrightshire, dumfries & galloway!

JJ said...

Hello Ruthie. Nice to hear from you. Yes indeed, doing something we love is the crux of it. Living in harmony with who we are.

I remember doing pictures for the AA at Kircudbright - the Martyr's Monument (is that right?) and a wooden mooring. The mooring shot got used a lot.

Look, I just can't stop using rhymes these days! There's something happening to my brain. I think it's Montypythonitis.

lucy said...

Yes, ambition is a dangerous thing. But schools in Australia don't teach kids to be 'ambitious'- not at my school anyway. Our teachers encourage us to have aspirations, and to try our best at achieving our goals, but nobody ever tells us to be ambitious. I think the people who are ambitious in my grade are the people who are just, well, ambitious in nature. I think this ambitious/dangerous side of people stem from their own personality, and not so much from what their taught to believe, although that is the case in some situations.

Anonymous said...

You're so right about this, Jeff, it's become a good thing to be ambitious when once it wasn't. I sometimes hear parents tell their children to be "better than the rest." What kind of view does that encourage? Like Ruthie, I want my children to have aspirations and be happy and healthy but I worry about the effects of an ambitious world on them.
This aside and re. your earlier remark, I'm doing fine, just a little tired and looking forward to a change of habits and scenery for a few weeks.

JJ said...

Lu: I'm not suggesting that schools openly teach ambition as a desirable principle. What seems indisputable though, at least over here, is that the educational system has adopted a high pressure approach in which 'success' as the system defines it becomes paramount. And that, I believe, sows the seed of ambition. What's more, I believe it's intended to, because the world is now so aggressive and competitive. The yuppie revolution of the 1980's produced the maxim 'greed is good,' and it shows no sign of abating. As Della says, parental attitudes are another angle on the picture, but that's a subject in itself.

Hello Della. Glad you're OK. Are you off on hols, then? Did you read how you've become one of my word association tools? Hope you get the batteries recharged.

Anonymous said...

I'm permanently on holiday :) but yes, soon we'll be off to another land. I've just discovered your post where you associate "de la" with my name – how did I overlook it? Very flattering and I didn't know who Walter what's-his-name was so now I've learned something, too. Must check in on your new ghost story, just waiting until I can read it in the evening, and not on a bright summer's day (even better, can we please have these ghost stories in nice, old-fashioned book form? Tell your publisher!). Hope you're well..

JJ said...

Well, have a good time anyway. I'll miss you while you're away.

The story is set in bright summer weather, actually. As for the publisher - if only.

the red-den studio said...

Jeff, at least your memory is still good at places lol!

JJ said...

Ruthie! Don't confuse me like this! I thought Red Den was a covert communist cell or something. I'm nervous at the moment - and easily confused. Couldn't you call yourself Fairy Flowers or Keening Kelpies - something that would at least give an ageing brain a bit of a hint?

Will be giving the new site the once over later. Thanks, Ruthie.

Ruthie Redden said...

eeek, sorry about that Jeff!! t'was a slip o the typing! its an ongoing family project and not finished quite yet, my brain is feeling addled from too much computing & not enough o the faerie & folklore things i love, but needs must when trying to get some pennies earnt ;-)