Friday 30 July 2010

Love is...

The last thing my mother said to me before she went into her final coma was ‘I love you, son.’ ‘I love you too, mum,’ I replied. I knew even at the time that I was saying it to help her go out on a happy note. The fact is, I don’t know what the word means; I never have.

I remember watching the film Love Story, and gasping at Ali McGraw’s famous line ‘Love is never having to say you’re sorry.’ Has there ever been an emptier catchphrase to please an empty-headed audience? It’s surely one of the greatest examples of Hollywood system-speak designed to keep the impressionable securely ensconced in base camp. I went home asking myself the question ‘so what is love?’ I didn’t have an answer.

I’ve said ‘I love you’ to several women during my life, and I was sure I meant it at the time. In retrospect, however, I realise that what I actually meant was ‘I have intense feelings for you.’ Is that enough? I doubt it somehow. I also know that the only time in my life when I experienced genuine panic was when I got a phone call at work telling me that my daughter was missing. Is that enough? Closer, maybe. And I know that I was always prepared to give the nod to the vet when he told me he couldn’t do any more to give my dog or cat a meaningful quality of life. Is that it? I suspect that’s the closest of all, because I’ve always doubted the oft-quoted dictum that ‘greater love hath no man than that he lay down his life for others,’ or words to that effect. It seems to me that a greater love is being demonstrated by putting one’s own interests aside and letting the object of affection go because it’s in their interest. It’s why I can’t help feeling massive admiration for the genuine mercy killer.

A question: why do parents love their children so much? Because it’s natural? Well, yes, I’m sure it is. And is it engendered by some genetic imprint? Probably. So are we saying that we love our children because they’re ours? There’s certainly some truth there; so love is selective in that case, and probably includes an element of possessiveness as well. Which brings me to the suspicion that most of the forms of experience we call ‘love’ have an element of selfishness about them. It’s only a four letter word, but it seems to me to be possibly the greatest concept in all the universes, temporal and spiritual. Can it afford to be selfish? Can it afford to be selective? Can it afford to be conditional?

Why only love our own children, and not all children? And if we’re going to do that, why not love all people? Why stop there? Why not love all sentient beings? Is that enough, or should we continue further and love all life, be it sentient or not? And what about all the other elements of existence? Why not love the lot?

It amuses me when people say ‘I love God,’ while being quite prepared to hate the commies, the illegal immigrants, the drug dealers, and even the neighbour’s cat who makes holes in their garden. Surely, if this phenomenon we call God exits, it must be something essentially unknowable but bound up in some way with the concept of the indivisible whole. It strikes me that the only way you can love God is by loving everything.

I have a feeling that I shall never know what love is until and unless I get to that stage. When I do, I’ll sit cross-legged and smile like the grinning Chinese monk resting on the bookcase beside me. Until then I’ll be very circumspect in my use of the word.

9 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

Love is one of those mysterious things that will always baffle the deep thinker. I think about this topic very very often and I've determined that love has multiple forms and is constantly changing. I suppose it really does come down to language though, the single word "love" being used to describe an array of often very different feelings-I say I love warm weather, and I also say that I love my family, though clearly, those are two very different types of "love", I still use the same word for both. I love my family, and I have no doubt about that (and I've determined that there are many reasons for that love, other than the fact that they are my family and it's "only right" to love them), but I also love my dog and my friends, however, differently.

I'm going to end up on one of my young romanticized trying-to-be-philosophical rants if I don't stop now!

JJ said...

You're quite right, McC. It's that old problem of needing a 3,000 word essay again!

I'll take the opportunity to point out that I'm not being cynical here. I'm not 'anti-love.' Far from it. The forms of it that are genuine, such as those you describe, are very lovely and worthwhile. Two things concern me:

1) People use it too lightly, and often to manipulate.

2) It's indefinable, and indefinable words so bug my left brain! That's my failing, of course.

Do have a rant, any time.

Mother Moon said...

a very thought provoking post I liked it... and yes I do agree that people do use the phrase way too loosely... I remember a time in my life when I did not want to hear anyone say those words to me because I felt it was so shallow.

They quickly spirted them out yet did they really even realize what they were saying... I have come to believe that love is an unconditional thing and sometimes quite difficult to feel towards some things and people. It is a giving up of yourself in a way.

Like McC I agree that this is a subject that could be discussed for hours around a big fire with a big cup of tea or maybe something more stout. Still I am not sure if one would ever come to a point where they would feel they "got it"

Thanks for making me think this morning.... My sleepy mind needed it. Blessings...

JJ said...

Thanks, Mother Moon. I think the big problem with the term ‘love’ comes when it’s used in a romantic sense. Because it’s such a subtle word capable of great variation, and therefore effectively indefinable, we have to accept that it means different things to different people. That’s OK when it comes to the relatively self-contained forms like loving your dog or loving your family. But when you say ‘I love you’ to a romantic, or potentially romantic, partner, you’re doing it because you want them to know how you feel. So how can you be sure they’re going to understand it the way you mean it? I don’t see how you can, which is why I’m suspicious of the term ‘in love.’

I’m still having problems with the ewitch site, by the way. I don’t think it’s the fault of your site. My computer is just weird like that. It has trouble with a few other sites, too (and I have downloaded the latest plug-ins.) Since I switched to Firefox, certain things have been better and certain worse. My computers have always tended to exhibit delinquent behaviour!

Mother Moon said...

sounds like you have a gremlin inside your box.... sorry to hear you are having trouble with ewitch... I myself am not on Firefox. who knows what crazies live inside the technology we all have choosen to have.

Like I said about the topic of love... it could go on forever.. I like your statement about whether or not someone would understand what we meant when we said I love you... I have always felt that people define terms (not just love) in varying ways and therefore causes much of the misunderstandings that occur...

Jfromtheblock said...

Interesting post Jeff. I've been dwelling on the same topic lately, as you probably know. My mother thinks I am doomed to great loneliness in this life if I keep these opinions. I think for me loving someone is exactly just having intense feelings for them. And you're right, it passes.

Don't ask me why but I am so happy to know you have a daughter! Thank god for that. I am very very happy :)

JJ said...

OK, Jen, I won't ask you why. But I don't deny being curious.

pnorthluskin said...

Thich Nhat Hanh says "love is practice." I think he's very right about that. He wrote a pretty amazing poem about this, which sort of connects to your question of "why not love everyone?":

http://www.quietspaces.com/poemHanh.html

JJ said...

Thank you Paige. I'd heard of Thich Naht Hanh (I'm sure my Buddhist ex has mentioned him,) but I'd never read him. This is indeed close to what I mean.

The problem I was pondering with the post was this. As humans, we use the word 'love' so easily and in so many ways that are essentially subjective. If there is a pure definition, it has to have something to do our relationship to the nature of interconnected being. I think the overwehelming majority of us use it too narrowly, and thus debase it. I have been guilty of that often enough. One of the reasons I read your blog is because I see the essence of pure love coming through it. I honour you.