Thursday 1 July 2010

Function can be Subjective.

I have a small outbuilding behind my house. The gutter has slipped over the years, so a quantity of water settles at one end of it instead of all going properly down the spout. I’ve noticed that a lot of birds, ranging in size from little warblers to much bigger blackbirds and thrushes, flock there to drink and bathe.

As we’ve had hardly any rain in my part of Britain for weeks, I’ve taken to keeping it supplied from the watering can. Not only are the birds happy, but it gives me great pleasure to see them from my kitchen window.

It’s likely that the next person to live here will get the landlord to have it repaired so that it ‘functions’ properly. It functions just fine for me.

5 comments:

Ruthie Redden said...

oh, i thought that was how gutters were supposed to function, at least they do in our neck of the woods too ;-)

JJ said...

That’s because you’re all wild and uncivilised up there in the barbaric north. All woad bushes and communicating by carrier sheep.

(I had a character say something similar in a story once. He was from Basingstoke. He came to a sticky end at the hands of something other-worldly and not very nice.)

Lovely to hear from you, Ruthie. Hope you’re getting well settled in now.

Somebody asked a question in a blog post this morning: ‘What is that makes you read/follow a particular blog?’ My reply was ‘When it makes me want to meet the author.’ Yours was one I had in mind.

KMcCafferty said...

That reminds me how in Ireland I had two little birds that would peck at my window each morning. They'd tap on the glass. I had absolutely no idea why, but I decided I'd put out feed for them anyway, and taped the feeder to the windowsill so they could sit and peck at it.

Now that I'm not there, I wonder what the next resident will think of them, and whether they'll continue to peck at the window or not.

JJ said...

Hi, Kaetlyn. I wonder whether Irish birds are more demanding than English ones. Ours learn a bit of decorum, don’t you know! Great little guys, all of them. My garden has gained a thrush and a tree sparrow this year, as well as the usual crowd.

Ruthie Redden said...

lol, well this barbarian thinks thats a very lovely thing to say! (the blog bit that is)thank you, mr b, and we are settled in fine, im just awful busy trying to finally get my web site up but keep getting cold feet (must be somethign to do with our weather ;-)